[Mailman-Users] Problems with large list

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 7 16:47:32 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 22:28, Leonardo Sá wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 22:00, Leonardo Sá wrote:
> > > I've checked the apache configuration and it seems to be ok (otherwise, the
> > > other lists would not be working). Rebuilding the list from scratch also
> > > didn't work, and i do have 401mb ram that i think is enough for this kind of
> > > job. Only the big list is not working through the web.
> >
> > You don't say what version of Mailman you're using.  This is really
> > important because I believe that 2.1 is much better than 2.0 here.  But
> > in either case, Mailman has to slurp the entire list database into
> > memory for each web-hit.  Yes, this sucks and the fix plan includes
> > putting a real database backend on Mailman.  If you feel adventurous,
> > try using the BDBMemberAdaptor from cvs.  It might be more friendly on
> > memory usage due to BerkeleyDB's memory management and caching.
> >
> > -Barry
> >

> Good idea!
>
> Where can I find info about this? Can I do it with MySQL?
> BTW, my mailman is 2.1.
>
> Cheers
>
> Leonardo

Hmmm, I've seen the problem you are having and the bottle neck really
seems to be disk I/O.  I've solved the problem in the past by using a
small RAM disk and moving that mailing list over to the RAM disk.

Note, the RAM disk must be large enough to handle the config.pck file
and a copy of that file.

Once you move the list over to the RAM disk, you can mount it over the
current list directory.  At that point you will see a dramatic increase
in performance when accessing this list for modifications.

You can search the archives for more details.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes