[Mailman-Users] Follow-up: Text encoding issue

Rob Costain rcostain at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 7 05:09:58 CEST 2003

A follow-up to my earlier post re: Text encoding issue

I forgot to mention that I have content-filtering configured to strip
text/html to text/plain. However, on most lists other attachments types
(i.e. .doc, .pdf, etc.) are not prohibited.

I did an impromptu test with a small developer list that I run.

I sent three messages to the list:
1) One was plain text which everyone received it without problem.
2) I then sent an HTML-formatted message. In this case, Mailman worked as
expected and stripped the MIME/HTML from the message, which was received by
everyone as plain text.
3) The last message was plain text, but this time I attached a JPEG file.
**In this case a couple of recipients reported that the message arrived with
an empty body, and that the body, footer and attached JPEG were encoded as
THREE SEPARATE ATTACHMENTS to the message**.

The users in question were using Outlook on Windows XP and Netscape on XP
respectively.

Any suggestions on what I might be able to change to avoid the messages
appearing as attachments?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Rob

--