[Mailman-Users] Group id Catch-22 after list move

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Apr 6 23:26:29 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 11:12, Nick Arnett wrote:
> My old lists are running okay.  However, any new list I create has a user id
> problem with Postfix -- I get the "Mailman expected the mail wrapper script
> to be executed as group..." error when posting to a new list.  If I
> re-install, using the group name it expects for the new lists, then the new
> lists work, but the old ones produce that error.

You may have a problem if your old lists are aliased in a Sendmail style
aliases file, but the new lists are aliased in the auto-generated
data/aliases.db file.  You should remove any list aliases from
/etc/aliases, set up Postfix integration as outlined in README.POSTFIX,
re-run bin/genaliases and make sure that the file data/aliases.db is
owned and grouped by "mailman".  This latter is vitally important:
Postfix runs the mail scripts with the owner and group of the aliases.db
file.

> Oh, and one more annoyance.  The urls for the admin pages for the internal
> Mailman list only work if "Mailman" in the url has an upper-case "M", but it
> is lower-case in all of the pages.  Can't figure out how to fix that,
> either... I tried re-creating the list, but then I get the problem described
> above.

Ok, that's a weird one. :)  When you moved your lists, did you change
any part of the url used to get to the list?  If so, you'll need to run
bin/fix_url.py (via bin/withlist).  I don't know for sure this will fix
your problem, but it's a place to start.  Next, check to make sure you
don't have something funky in your Apache confs.

-Barry