[Mailman-Users] Virus Scanning

Angel Gabriel badmangabriel at lycos.co.uk
Mon Sep 30 13:38:58 CEST 2002

I am currently very pissed off. Okay, so it doesn't show via email, but I
have just lost my virtual domains due to exxess mail messages being sent to
people's mail boxes. Don't worry, this is NOT the fault of mail man. But the
fault of some bastard virus, which is on some, maybe even all of my
machines. I have no idea how, but about 150 emails got sent to my mailing
list... which has in excess of 100k members, and is supposed to be used for
occasional, and I mean OCCASIONAL mailouts.... so you can imagine how pissed
people where when they got 'mailbombed'. Apart from being extremly
embarrased, I'd like to protect my network from this type of embarrasment,
the virus came as an email attachemnt, which slipped through the local virus
scanners, and it takes just one idiot, that's right ONE, to release mayham
on the world. I have no idea how many copies of the virus was sent out, but
it had to be a LOT. What I would like to do, is to kill them at the source
or distribution, ie, sendmail. How can I add virus protection to my email
gateway, to stop them getting in, AND out?

***
Not everyone is touched by an Angel......
and those that are, never forget the experience.
***