[Mailman-Users] Importing messages to archives

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Wed Sep 25 02:39:43 CEST 2002

I just did some more playing with this. Here is the start of an mbox that
Mailman saved for my test message:

     From vanhorn at whidbey.com  Sun Feb 18 13:11:51 2001
     Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 13:08:09 -0800
     From: "G. Armour Van Horn" <vanhorn at whidbey.com>
     ---etc---

Now, here is one that a recipient of the proposed list has (with a little
obscuring)

     From ???@??? Thu Sep 19 17:55:39 2002
     Date:         Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:31:11 -0400
     Sender:       Previous-users list
     <Previous-USERS at host.listserver.COM>
     From:         Cindy User <user at user.COM>
     ---etc---

Note that the divider (the line that has the "From " without a colon)
doesn't have a sender named in the Eudora file. I then took their file, and
since there are only about 20 messages in it, I manually replaced the
???@??? with the e-mail address of the sender of each message (as appears on
the "From: " with a colon) and now it works.

So, does anyone have a script around that will make that replacement? Or a
sketch of one? (I can't write Perl to save my life, but I can sure edit it
once a valid program exists.) (I suppose any script someone volunteered here
would be in Python, maybe I can learn to edit that too!)

Van

mailman at tux.org wrote:

> Hmmm ...  Just "thinking out loud" for the moment while I continue to
> think about what you have said below, it sure -sounds- like the process
> of editing the Subject: line has somehow messed up the headers such that
> it now looks like the body of the message starts where the Subject line
> was ...  For example, if you took out the Subject: line entirely, the
> blank line left it its place would look like a header/body separator
> that would make some headers appear as part of the body, and it would
> certainly look like the message now had no subject.  On the other hand,
> you say "all" of the headers are displayed (do you really mean "all",
> or would "most" be more precise?), and of course you are not wiping out
> the Subject line.  What editor are you using?  Is it doing anything
> funny or unexpected with the file when you edit/save it (hint: use
> od for a byte-by-byte comparison)?
>
> I will continue to puzzle this, and try some experiments if possible.
> In the meantime, try to get an iron grip on what -- exactly -- happens
> to the file when you edit it (another hint: think of your file as a
> set of arbitrary bytes, and forget for the moment that the bytes mean
> something to you).
>
> - Andrew

> On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, G. Armour Van Horn wrote:
>
> > Okay, now we're half way home. The messages that I pasted in are all
> > now visible in the archives for the appropriate time, but every one is
> > listed as "No subject" and when you read them all of the original
> > headers are displayed.
> >
> > There is a valid subject line, I'm replacing the three-letter name of
> > the previous list with ABC:
> >
> >      Subject: [ABC] Detailed Charge Master Report
> >
> > Ass opposed to the same header if I send it in directly:
> >
> >      Subject: [Test] test to look at headers
> >
> > So, do I need to replace headers on the additional messages to make
> > this work? Or should it have already worked?
> >
> > Van

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,