[Mailman-Users] Re: Error installing 2.0.13

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Fri Sep 20 22:23:38 CEST 2002

Maria Garcia Suarez wrote:

> /who really apologises for disturbing so much... :-(
> and apreciates your help a lot

    You're not disturbing.  You're asking for help - anyone is allowed to do that.

> mv: no se puede efectuar `stat' sobre `/home/mailman/templates/*.html': No existe el fichero o el directorio
> /usr/bin/install: no se puede efectuar `stat' sobre `*.html': No existe el fichero o el directorio
> mv: no se puede efectuar `stat' sobre `/home/mailman/templates/*.txt': No existe el fichero o el directorio
> /usr/bin/install: no se puede efectuar `stat' sobre `*.txt': No existe el fichero o el directorio
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/mailman-2.0.13/templates'
> make: *** [doinstall] Error 2

    Now this...  Here's what's happening:

    The install script checks to see if you don't already have a previous installation, and tries to move the old files away prior to installing newer ones.  However, since you don't have an older install, the 'mv' command fails.  Now why it's
actually quitting on you, that may be specific to your distribution.  On my system when it fails, it ignores the error and continues on.  I don't know what's the best solution here, but it could be something as simple as creating two blank
files, but Mailman should test for the file existence first, before blindly 'mv'-ing things.  Just my opinion.

    Barry?  Anyone else who has in the past run up against this problem?

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.