[Mailman-Users] Re: Mail server configuration

Will Yardley william+mm at hq.newdream.net
Tue Sep 10 13:03:48 CEST 2002

Davin Dahlgren wrote:

> I know this isn't strictly related to Mailman, but if anyone out there
> knows the answer, let me know. I am setting up a new Linux installation
> and have directed a domain name to point to it. I can pull up my web
> page from the web server, but email does not get through. I can send
> email out, but it does not get back in. Does anyone know what else I
> need to do to get this server set up and ready for Mailman to receive
> mail?

You'd be more likely to get information if you let us know what MTA
you're using, what variety of Linux you're using, etc.

Also, I think you will find that your logs can be very useful in terms
of figuring out what the problem is....

And, of course, you should make sure that your MTA is listening on the
external interfaces.....

Just making a guess, but if you're running Dead rat linux with Sendmail
as the MTA, you'll probably need to reconfigure Sendmail to listen on
the main interface - IIRC, by default it only listens on the loopback
interface.

--
Will Yardley
input: william < @ hq . newdream . net . >