[Mailman-Users] large list questions (15000 users)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Sep 2 20:43:19 CEST 2002

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 16:22:57 +0200 (CEST)
Lars Andersson <mailman-list at rockar.nu> wrote:

> 1. Can mailman handle such large lists

Yes. see the FAQ.

> 2. Is there a simple way to limit what the administrator of a list can
> change when he is administering a list? For example, I don't want him
> to be able to change the max post size for mailinglist.

There are slightly better controls for this under Mailman2.1 than 2.0.

> 3. If he uses the web interface to handle his list, does it scale up
> to 15.000 users?

Yes, tho without a rather fast machine you'll want to start looking at
using an external data store for your membership roster (Mailman v2.1).

> 4. Is there any other problems running such a big list that I should
> be aware of before I go ahead and implement the list.

Please see the FAQ.

> 5. User administration.  It would be best for me if the owner of the
> list could handle unsubscriptions by sending mail to Mailman (without
> knowing the password for the user he wants to unsubscribe). Is this
> possible or does he need to use the web interface?  I know you can do
> a lot of things on the command line and by using the web interface but
> this administrator wants to use mail for this kind of commands. It's
> also the fastest way when he has so many users.

He can use the list password.

--
J C Lawrence