OFFTOPIC Re: [Mailman-Users] Archive URL in postings (2.1b3)

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue Oct 29 19:45:28 CET 2002

On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 10:38  AM, Jay Sekora wrote:
> Because it's simply a lie.  I got this mail with the headers:

sorry. don't agree.

> What that means to me is that Chuq Von Rospach knows me, knows my email
> address, deliberately decided to send this mail to me specifically,

um, interesting philosophy. I don't buy it. Not for a moment.

> Back to filtering, I filter lots of my mailing lists into separate
> folders, but I only do so if my own address doesn't appear in the
> destination headers, because in that case I consider the message
> addressed
> to me as an individual as well as to the list, and I want it to end
> up in the place where mail-addressed-to-me-as-an-individual goes.
>
> With this change that distinction is lost.  I can no longer tell

I think that filtering method is flawed, personally. I filter all list
mail into a folder, using list-id, sender, mailing-list (damn you,
yahoogroups), and occasionally a weird header from some funky list
server that doesn't come near the standards except in leap years.

that way, I know what's in my personal mailbox is personal mail. Even
if it's a reply I got from a posting to a mail list. That allows me to
carry on a discussion on a list in a timely manner, even if (for
instance) I don't read the mail in the list folder for a while. Like,
well, this discussion...

> For lists I'm subscribed to but filter to folders and read in batch
> mode, I'll just change my filters to adapt.  That loses me the
> adavantage
> of treating messages that actually *did* list me individually as a
> recipient differently,

not really. you STILL have List-ID. If it exists, you know it came
through the server. If it doesn't, it's a direct copy. you haven't lost
the ability to figure this out at all (and, in fact, it worked that way
before. Your system, FWIW, fails if, say, I send email to the list and
BCC you. Mine handles that appropriately...)

> Sorry if this message comes across as heated.

not at all. Now's the right time to put this on the table and hash it
out. Better now than AFTER it ships...

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui at plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

No! No! Dead girl, OFF the table! -- Shrek