OFFTOPIC Re: [Mailman-Users] Archive URL in postings (2.1b3)

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Tue Oct 29 19:08:56 CET 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 05:13  AM, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> > Its either that personalisation has been switched on - which I think is
> > in general bad for a general purpose list,
>
> It is. This is a new feature of 2.1, folks. And I disagree strongly
> with Nigel that it's a bad idea. I've been running my lists with
> personalization on for about 10 days now (they got all the pain fixing
> things...), and it's a nice plus. It'll be nicer once Barry adds some
> of the personalization into the footer. Once this is turned on, you can
> do some neat things like pre-load the URL for the listinfo page so it
> takes a user to their info directly, not a generic page where they have
> to figure out what to do.

The problem with personalization in the To: header is that I can't
tell if email is to me or just to the list.

I have my email client color messages depending on what is in the To:
header.  If my name is there it is one color, if not it is another
color.  In folders for mailing lists this makes it very easy to skim
for replies to my messages.  With personalization turned on it is
impossible for me to use this feature anymore.

I think personalization in the footers is great (personalized
response), and sticking an X-MailmanTo header or something would be
great.  Making it look like each message is to me, instead of to the
list, is terrible.

Hopefully personalization can be turned on without requiring this
as well.

alex