[Mailman-Users] mailman 2.1b3 qrunner performance (backlog)

Andrew D. Clark andrew.clark at ucsb.edu
Thu Oct 17 20:17:16 CEST 2002

I recently upgraded from mailman 2.0.12 to 2.1b3 and am quite pleased with
the new qrunner setup (among other things).  We have one particularly high
volume list with very bursty postings (since the main poster is scripting
postings).  In mailman 2.0.12 we'd often have hundreds of files stuck in
the qfiles directory, sometimes for hours.  Now, postings go through much
more quickly.  However, archiving still lags quite a bit, and that qrunner
has _very_ long run times:

mailman  5476 93.5  2.7 32188 31388  ??  R     4:18PM 115:01.18 qrunner
/home/services/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=ArchRunner:0:1 -s (python)

I'm pretty sure lag in archiving is what was causing the whole thing to
back up in 2.0.12.  So, although the backlog is now mostly isolated to
archiving (a very good thing) I'm looking for a solution to fix that.  Not
archiving is not an option.  Should forking more ArchRunners help with
this, or will this just cause more contention?

My platform is FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE on a 700mhz PIII with 1GB RAM, running
mailman 2.1b3 with Exim 4.05.

--
Andrew Clark
Campus Network Programmer