[Mailman-Users] Cached Name server - How does it speed up things?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 9 19:31:08 CEST 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 11:39, Angel Gabriel wrote:
> Does a cached name server have to be on the exact same machine as mailman?

Depends on how your MTA (Sendmail) is setup.  If it simply hands off all
incoming mail to another mailserver, then no.
If it actually tries to deliver the individual mailman messages, then
YES!

Note: it's not a requirement, but it really speeds up the processing of
mail to have the caching named on the local machine.

> Or can I add it to another machine on my network?

If you want to setup the local Sendmail install on your mailman list
server so that it simply forwards any outgoing mail to that machine,
then that will work fine.

IMHO, mail servers should *always* run a caching named server as well.

- Jon Carnes