[Mailman-Users] Cached Name server - How does it speed up things?

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Wed Oct 9 17:38:17 CEST 2002

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 04:39:44PM +0100, Angel Gabriel wrote:
> Does a cached name server have to be on the exact same machine as mailman?

No.

> Or can I add it to another machine on my network? I'm thinking that if it's
> on the same subnet as my mailman machine would the performance increase be
> negligable if I installed a cache nameserver on the same machine as
> mailman?? This is just questions, and over the last few weeks, I think it's

Most likely.

> pretty obvious that postfix seems to be the MTA of choice, so how to I
> transfer all my aliases over?

>From your headers I would guess you're now running sendmail.

If so, and if your aliases are in /etc/aliases, after setting
up postfix, run

postalias /etc/aliases

Have a look at /etc/postfix/main.cf, looking for the alias_maps
parameter.  On our list server, this looks like:

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
             hash:/etc/aliases.d/mailman

because I find it convenient to keep our mailman aliases in a
separate file.  After changing that,

postalias /etc/aliases.d/mailman

Some distributions may place Postfix's default alias file in
/etc/postfix/aliases.  If so, you can either copy your aliases
file, or change the alias_maps parameter.

--
Dan Wilder