[Mailman-Users] qfiles constipation

Andrew D. Clark andrew.clark at ucsb.edu
Tue Oct 8 20:01:40 CEST 2002

I've had consistent problems with the mailman qfiles directory getting
heavily backlogged (100-200 files stuck, sometimes for several hours) with
several various 2.0.x versions of mailman.  The qrunner log shows lines
like so:

Oct 08 10:03:01 2002 (92546) Could not acquire qrunner lock
Oct 08 10:09:02 2002 (93469) Could not acquire qrunner lock

I'm able to clear the backlog by killing off the currently running qrunner
processes and removing the lock files in the locks directory.  I've written
a small Perl script to check the qfiles directory for a backlog and take
the necessary measures every so often, but that's a bit of a hackish
solution, I'd say.  Besides the fact that it causes a pretty big burst of
email to be sent all at once, which some users consider unpleasant.

I'm currently running mailman 2.0.12 (not built from ports) on FreeBSD
4.6-STABLE, with the qrunner running every 3 minutes.

I see Chris Lawson reported the same problem yesterday.  Anyone else having
this problem with bursty (around 2-3 emails per minute at peak) high volume
lists?  Anyone else figure out a solution?  Any mailman developers have any
input on this?  Perhaps qrunner could be throttled to not attempt to
process more than N files per run?

--
Andrew Clark
Campus Network Programmer