[Mailman-Users] relay host

michael shiloh michael at makingthings.com
Wed Nov 6 20:25:52 CET 2002

hi all,

configuration:

  redhat 7.3 with most updates
  linux 2.4.9-21
  python 1.5.2
  sendmail 8.11.6
  mailman 2.0.13
  Apache 1.3.22

i'm having a bit of trouble getting mail sent out from my
recently-installed list server. according to my sendmail
documentation i'm allowing relay from my local host, and in
fact in

  /etc/mail/access

i have:

  # Check the /usr/share/doc/sendmail-8.11.6/README.cf file for a description
  # of the format of this file. (search for access_db in that file)
  # The /usr/share/doc/sendmail-8.11.6/README.cf is part of the sendmail-doc
  # package.
  #
  # by default we allow relaying from localhost...
  localhost.localdomain           RELAY
  localhost                       RELAY
  127.0.0.1                       RELAY

the symptom is that i can access my list's subscription
website and subscribe. i get the next page that says:

  Confirmation from your email address is required, to
  prevent anyone from subscribing you without permission.
  Instructions are being sent to you at michael at ecsd.com.

and then i see in my /var/log/messages:

  Nov  6 11:17:06 magritte sendmail[22687]: gA6JH6J22687:
  ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<michael at ecsd.com>,
  relay=localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1], reject=551 5.7.1
  we do not relay

normally from this same host i can send email anywhere
(including to michael at ecsd.com) so it is something that
mailman is adding (or perhaps leaving off?).

normally i send email from pine, and i have in pine
specifically set my domain. it occurred to me that i've
never told mailman what domain to use. perhaps it's picking
up some default which i never bothered setting? where would
it get this info? not hostname, since that gives a valid
address:

  # hostname
  magritte.magrittesystems.com

any ideas gleefully accepted, with much appreciation.

michael