[Mailman-Users] How to handle single quote in subscriber email address

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Fri May 31 08:57:04 CEST 2002

Cassandra Fleetwood wrote:

> cron logs the following error message from qrunner when attempting to send
> the subscription confirmation message to a user that has a single in their
> address (i.e. "john.o'reilly at domain.com").
>
> sh: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
> sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
>
> How do I get Mailman to handle addresses that contain a single quote?

you don't. they are invalid. no funny characters are allowed in headers.
i learned the hard way, because my name contains an "ö" :(
educate your users.

(btw, i have the same problem. one fraggle likes his account name
"double-quoted"@somewhere.com. the funny thing is, mailman allows those
folks to subscribe, but i can't throw them off again because the admin
interface chokes on them. does anyone know whether this is fixed in 2.1
?)

best,

jörn