[Mailman-Users] Read-Only Mailing Lists

AerosmithFanClub.com List Admin listadmin at aerosmithfanclub.com
Wed May 22 03:01:10 CEST 2002

At 05:45 PM 5/21/2002 -0700, you wrote:
 >This is eminently doable, but you have to be willing and able to patch
Mailman.

 >1. Patch Mailman to be able to turn off the List-* headers on a per-list
 >basis so you don't confuse your subscribers with instructions that don't
 >work. I can send this patch to anyone who wants it. I haven't figured out
 >how to contribute it to SourceForge.

That part has been done after being yelled at many times about doing so
violates RFC when indeed it doesn't.

 >2. Edit listinfo.html for each list you want to have non-standard
 >instructions on its listinfo page.

That fixes one of the pages.  Does not do anything for the generic welcome
message or all the other places that extraneous links are listed.

 >3. Restrict posting by setting "member_posting_only" to "no" and "posters"
 >to the address(es) of people allowed to post. These are both on the
 >"privacy" admin page.

Yep thats the one logical part of the software.

 >That's it. If you would spend half the amount of time learning Python and
 >HTML as you do complaining, you would have figured all of this out by now.

I know HTML just fine thank you but I am not a Python programmer.  Even if
I were the spaghetti code that this is makes it difficult to patch into
logical useable code.

 >And I was an Aerosmith fan before you were. They played at a giant beer bash
 >at my college circa 1973 (they had one album out). Dozens of kegs and "cups"
 >the size of large popcorn vats at the movies. People were passed out
 >everywhere. It was a good time.

I doubt you were and if your idea of a good time is having everyone passed
out from being drunk that could explain a lot about your code.