[Mailman-Users] Read-Only Mailing Lists

Bob Weissman rlw at rlw.best.vwh.net
Wed May 22 02:45:43 CEST 2002

This is eminently doable, but you have to be willing and able to patch Mailman.

1. Patch Mailman to be able to turn off the List-* headers on a per-list basis so you don't confuse your subscribers with instructions that don't work. I can send this patch to anyone who wants it. I haven't figured out how to contribute it to SourceForge.

2. Edit listinfo.html for each list you want to have non-standard instructions on its listinfo page.

3. Restrict posting by setting "member_posting_only" to "no" and "posters" to the address(es) of people allowed to post. These are both on the "privacy" admin page.

That's it. If you would spend half the amount of time learning Python and HTML as you do complaining, you would have figured all of this out by now. And I was an Aerosmith fan before you were. They played at a giant beer bash at my college circa 1973 (they had one album out). Dozens of kegs and "cups" the size of large popcorn vats at the movies. People were passed out everywhere. It was a good time.

- Bob