[Mailman-Users] cron, was: Mailman does everything except send mail

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Wed May 15 20:37:35 CEST 2002

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:

> Question on that: can mailman be configured to run without cron? I have
> on my home system a very low traffic list, and it's a bit a cpu waste to
> run a cron job when I have only 2 or 3 messages every few days.

nettings at spunk:~ > ps uax
USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
root       446  0.0  1.0  1396  476 ?        S    Feb07   0:00
/usr/sbin/cron

i'd say any unix system without such basic services as a cron daemon is
IMHO misconfigured, unless you have *very* special needs, such as a
special-purpose embedded system.

cron is no significant load on modern machines, and it has a small
memory footprint. the one percent memory usage you see here is of a
total of 48 megs of ram - the system is very low-spec.
you could configure it to run qrunner only every 10 minutes, but i doubt
such tweaks are worth it.

best,

jörn