[Mailman-Users] New user question

AerosmithFanClub.com List Admin listadmin at aerosmithfanclub.com
Sun May 12 04:35:02 CEST 2002

At 07:28 PM 5/11/2002 -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
 >On Sat, 11 May 2002 21:36:11 -0400 `
 >AerosmithFanClub com List Admin <listadmin at aerosmithfanclub.com> wrote:
 >
 >> Well damn that sucks.
 >
 >Mailman is not for you at this point.  I recommend finding another
 >mailing list solution.

I have no choice in the matter.  I am trying to make it as easy to use as
possible for all my subscribers.

 >> My suggestion is to make this a LOT simpler and do away with all the
 >> levels of control and protection.  Its way overkill.
 >
 >2.1, with some adaption, (may need an external data store adaptor for
 >the membership roster(s)) can be configured to do what you want.

This is a shared installation of MM that cannot be moded by individual list
owners UNLESS the options are allowed in the list config.

 >> The simplicity of using plain old email to subscribe and/or
 >> unsubscribe is much preferred over the web interface and passwords.
 >
 >You can subscribe and unsubscribe from Mailman lists using only email.

As long as you know your password which is a totally unnecessary
complication of list software.

 >> On top of that all those damn extra headers that are added to each
 >> email are a total pain.
 >
 >Please read RFC 2369 and the FAQ:

FAQ has long sicne been read.  Perhaps YOU and the programmers should read
the part where this is OPTIONAL and not something that shoudl be FORCED
onto people.

Actually there is a prevailing programming style of forcing list to be
controlled to the Nth degree.  Like I was saying earlier this is ONLY a
mailing list.  It is not like it is hold the keys to the US nuclear arsenal
or anything.  I am in no way talking down about the programming abilities
of the folks who wrote this software.  I am merely saying that just because
it is possible to write code to secure things to the equivalent top
secrecy, a mailing list is not the place to implement it all.