[Mailman-Users] your software

Marc MERLIN marc_news at vasoftware.com
Sun May 5 06:57:29 CEST 2002

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 02:45:37AM +0200, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> The whole point of the GNU project is to create an operating
> system that is completely Free Software.  Therefore, it is only
> proper to inform users of GNU software that this is our goal.

The only reason I'm answering here is that I wouldn't want people to think I
disagree with that.
I don't  disagree with  most of the  goals of the  GNU project. Like  I told
Barry, I GPL my code.

I just get annoyed  when I see people trying to  pressure others into saying
Free Software instead  of Open Source or "GNU/Linux" when  Linus has made it
clear that he never  wrote linux to be part of the  GNU project (he couldn't
care less), or when only 10-15 packages on my linux distribution are part of
the GNU project (most others are GPLed  software, but aren't part of the GNU
project. However,  yes most  of  those 10-15  packages  are essential,  from
fileutils from gcc, but so are *many* other packages on my debian system).

I think we all agree that open source  (or free software if you want to call
it that) is  good, and that furthering  such systems in order  to reach more
users is good.

Arguing  about forcing  people to  give  credit, when  it's debatable  since
*many* other people and projects deserve  credit too, is lame, especially on
this list where it's clearly off topic.
(BTW,  you never  ask for  credit, you  get it  or you  don't. Sometimes you
deserve it and don't get it. Such  is life. Pointing out repeatetly that you
are "owed"  that credit is  the _last_ thing you  should be doing,  you will
only discredit yourself, and I'm afraid to  say that RMS has done a fine job
of that. Jordan Hubbard is a model example of someone who's humble that way)

Marc

PS: Please flame me off list :)