[Mailman-Users] your software

Marc MERLIN marc_news at vasoftware.com
Fri May 3 22:16:38 CEST 2002

[I do not plan to answer mails on this thread]

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 11:22:26AM +0200, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> Sandra Maynard <smaynard at agric.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
>
> > dear Mailman,
> > I currently use your Mailman software at work , through my univesity
> > system, and a fabulous system  it is indeed. Do you have any equivalent
> > software that would work on the web, but not using the linux operating
> > system?
>
> To be quite accurate, "Linux" is the name of a kernel which is
> an important part of the operating system; the whole system
> should properly be called GNU/Linux.

Please don't start this  advocaty here because I will tell  you what I think
of Stallman, his pig-headedness, and  his ridiculous attempts at begging for
credit left and right.
RMS does  deserve lots of  credit, but begging  for it, especially  in cases
where it's questionable is very lame and completely discredits him.

Barry has made the choice to call the project he maintains
"Mailman, the GNU Mailing List Manager"
That's his right, it's his software

Linus calls his project Linux, and so do I.
Debian has decided to call their distribution, GNU/Linux, they can do that.
I've also decided that RMS has annoyed me enough that I did a
s#GNU/Linux#Linux# all over my debian systems, and I can do that too.

The short version is: spare us the advocacy here, because I (and others) can
give you  counterpoints for  each of  your points,  and it's  completely off
topic for this list.

> The main point about GNU has always been to create a complete
> operating system which is completely Free Software, for details
> please refer to http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-history.html

And you also know that linux wasn't meant  to be part of the GNU system (and
still isn't if you ask Linus), and that RMS only started cligging to it when
the hurd kernel project didn't really go anywhere, but you knew that.
Incidently, the  Revolution OS movie gives  a good neutral point  of view of
this, and lets people decide for themselves.

Marc