[Mailman-Users] Re: stripping Received: headers

Tom Neff tneff at bigfoot.com
Thu Mar 28 15:59:16 CET 2002

Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com> wrote:
> Be aware that not having [Received:] headers will make troubleshooting
> certain kinds of subscriber problems more difficult.  Not an
> issue for announce-only lists, and maybe not so much an issue
> for moderated lists, but for others, keep a copy.

The simplest way to keep a copy is just to add a file to the alias entry
when you create the list, e.g.

  mylist: /var/spool/lists/mylist,"|/home/mailman2/mail/wrapper post mylist"

Even better would be to keep a big "Received Chronicle":

  mylist: "|/usr/local/bin/reformail -c -X Message-Id: -X Received: |sort
>>/var/spool/lists/mylist_recvd","|/usr/local/bin/reformail -I Received: |
/home/mailman2/mail/wrapper post mylist"

That file would contain just the message ID's (or you could use From:)
followed by their Received: lines.  Tracking down a problem would be
relatively easy.

You can use one of the log rotater programs to swap these out when they get
too big.