[Mailman-Users] How do I recover email addresses?

Michael C. Brenner mbrenner at naviant.com
Thu Mar 14 07:40:02 CET 2002

At 04:12 PM 3/13/2002, Tim Rea wrote:
>My question:
>How can I retrieve all the emails for the old mailing lists?  I have all the
>files but have not been able to locate the "database" that contains all the
>email addresses for each mailing list.  I would like to install and
>configure Mailman 2.1 and recreate the mailing lists.  Then I want to
>retrieve all the email addresses from the old files/"databases" and import
>them into the new mailing lists.  Can this be done?  I hope so since my
>customers have lists with thousands of email addresses and there is no way
>for me to recreate the list of addresses unless I can retrieve them from the
>old backup files.

On the new box, I would install and test 2.1. Once I have it right, "make
clean".
Then I would tar ~mailman (or wherever you put your base) from the old box
and untar it on the new box in the new mailman dir. Then I would go to the
install dir for MM2.1 and follow the Upgrade instructions. pretty much it is:

make clean
./configure --your-options-here
make install
cd ~mailman
./bin/check_perms

The 2.1 install will preserve the lists and archives. There is info in the
UPGRADE about additional steps that are needed depending on your base
version. 2.1 was my first install so I only used the commands above.

MB