[Mailman-Users] admin subscribe hold notifications never arrive

Jerry Stratton jerry at sandiego.edu
Mon Mar 11 20:25:51 CET 2002

I've got *one* list on our system for which the administrator does
not receive notification that someone wants to subscribe. We have a
number of lists requiring admin approval for subscriptions--at least
one of which has the same administrator as the list which doesn't
successfully provide notifications.

The subscription requests are available on the "pending requests"
page; when the administrator approves those requests, the
administrator *does* receive notifications of the successful
subscriptions. The administrator also receives notifications of
unsubscriptions.

If the subscription requests are left to stand in the pending area,
the daily notices are also not received by the list admin. This
applies to both held messages and held subscription requests.

I have added myself as an administrator for that list, and have
verified this behavior. I don't receive any notifications
either--except for notifications of successful subscribes and
unsubscribes.

The 'vette' file in the logs directory shows the subscription
requests as "held"; the smtp file seems to indicate that 'a' message
was sent out on the five-minute mark, but it could be for any list as
the logfile does not indicate who the message was sent for, or why it
was sent. (And I would sort of expect it to be for 2 recips, as there
are two admins). Note that garden at hoboes.com also does not receive
anything about the subscription being held.

vette:
Mar 11 11:19:12 2002 (3201) RISA-L: held subscription request from
garden at hoboes.com

smtp:
Mar 11 11:20:02 2002 (8891) smtp for 1 recips, completed in 0.358 seconds

smtp-failure does not appear to have anything relevant in it.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this behavior? (Currently,
the last item in there was from February 13, and probably
corresponded to mailserver downtime.)

We have other lists where this feature works fine, including one with
the same admin.

Jerry
jerry at sandiego.edu
http://www.sandiego.edu/~jerry/
Serra 188B/x8773
--
The more restrictions there are, the poorer the people become. The
greater the government's power, the more chaotic the nation would