[Mailman-Users] Reply Question

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Sun Mar 10 16:30:03 CET 2002

On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 08:20:52AM -0800, alex wetmore wrote:
> > > No. The mail  client sends a  copy to the  author, mailman can't  stop that.
> > > However, if the mail client is mutt, or some similarily enlightened MUA, you
> > > can use list  reply to, and if  you insert a Mail-Followup-To,  you can clue
> > > the client to have reply to all only reply to the list.
> >
> > Mailman could look at the To and Cc lines of the message and make sure
> > it doesn't sent to members which are listed on those lines.  This
> > would result in each person getting one copy, either from the list or
> > from the sender who hit "reply to all".
>
> That's  what I  was saying,  it's  an option  Ben  wrote and  that just  got
> included in mailman cvs

You described this as a mutt feature (or maybe I missed something), I
was suggesting it as a mailman feature.

> > Ideally this would be a per-client setting.  A lot of email systems
> > will delete duplicate emails with the same Message-ID so someone who
>
> Really? I wasn't aware of that.
> (I think that  very few Email systems  do this. Exchange is the  first one I
> hear of  that does that according  to what you  say. This is by the  way not
> necessarily something you  want. If I bounce you a message  of mine that you
> lost, you'll never receive the copy)

Exchange only keeps the msg-id for about an hour.  It also looks like
it might check some other headers, because I get duplicates on one
list which is run by Listserv.  They mangle a lot of the headers
before sending the message back out, but not the Message-ID.

> > is on the To line and on the list doesn't see the message twice
> > anyway.  My email comes into an Exchange 2000 Server which I access
> > using Pine over IMAP.  Exchange deletes the duplicates, and Pine is
>
> Mmmmhh, why do I have outlook users whining that they can't handle the fact
> that they were receiving dupes and that they had no way (they said) to
> remove them.
> Granted, all of them don't use exchange, but...

The majority of them probably don't use Exchange, especially list
users who are probably subscribed from home and read email through a
POP account on an ISP.

alex