[Mailman-Users] mailman+exim+virtual domains

Kirez Korgan kirez at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 6 08:30:08 CET 2002

I've found a few dialogues in the archives on this subject, but for
endmail  -- I've pasted them below, with links for each batch of
conversation....

(http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2001-November/015161.html)

On Monday 05 November 2001 03:08, V.S.Mony wrote:
> Hai,
>  I have installed mailman in my machine and is managing the mailing lists
> for one domain. It has multiple domains hosted on it. Can one single
> installation of mailman be used to manage mailing lists for multiple
> domains?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Venkat

Yes.  It's a touch more complicated, but easily doable.  You have to setup
the virtual domains under your MTA (mailserver) and in your Webserver, then
simply set Mailman to use those virtual addresses, under General Options in
the Admin interface.

Jon Carnes

--------------Follow-up---------------------

On Wednesday 07 November 2001 00:22, V.S.Mony wrote:
> There is only a field with the description  'Hostname the list prefers'
>
> Can we give multiple domains in that field?
> i mean abc.com,xyz.com in the same textbox?
>
> Then will it recognise mails to both abc.com and xyz.com
>
> Venkat

Negative.  You put "abc.com" in for the domain it prefers.  If the list is
called mylist at abc.com, then you create an alias for it called mylist at xyz.com

The last step is to identify "mylist at xyz.com" as a list that is treated as
though it were "mylist at abc.com" by Mailman.  You do that by web-ing over to
the admin page and on the Privacy Options page, putting the address into
the field:
   Alias names (regexps) which qualify as explicit to
   or cc destination names for this list. (Details)

Works just fine there after - Jon

---------------Separate Dialogue-------------------
I didn't follow this conversation, which seems to conclude it was a sendmail
problem:

1. Bill Moseley asks question, seems quite relevant to me:
list, and the confirm mail came like this:

The list settings have not changes (they still say mardy.hank.org).

The problem is I have all mail to @hank.org to one address in sendmail's
virtusertable, so it needs to go to mardy.hank.org to not get bypassed by
my virtusertable entry.

So, the question is, why did mailman set the reply to to simply @hank.org
instead of @mardy.hank.org?  What settings should I look at?

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley at hank.org
****************
2. Jon Carnes answers:
****************
So you changed it in your ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py file but did you go
into the web-admin and change it on the General Options page for the lists
that already exist?
   Host name this list prefers:  mardy.hank.org

Jon Carnes
****************
3. Bill Mosely responds:
****************

Nope, that's what I meant when I said:

> The list settings have not changes (they still say mardy.hank.org).

Should have been

The list's settings have not changes (they still say mardy.hank.org).

I assume the settings are in the .db file for each list:

http://hank.org/mailman/s
moseley at hank.orgi
moseley at hank.orgs
moseley at hank.orgi
mardy.hank.org0

Hum.
*****************
4. Then Bill seems to say he's found the answer:
.... Wait, could it be sendmail is changing those headers?

250 mardy.hank.org Hello localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
mail from: b at hank.org
250 2.1.0 b at hank.org... Sender ok
rcpt to: moseley at hank.org
250 2.1.5 moseley at hank.org... Recipient ok
data
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself