[Mailman-Users] Problems with Sendmail...???

Scott Courtney courtney at 4th.com
Tue Jun 25 18:10:43 CEST 2002

On Tuesday 25 June 2002 08:53 am, Mike Henderson wrote:
> I am having a problem possibly relating to Sendmail.  If someone sends a
> command via email to the Mailman server, they get the following reply:
> ------The following addresses had transient non-fatal errors ------
> <HYPERLINK
> "mailto:#####-request at lists.lander.edu"#####-request at lists.lander.edu>

It looks as if the syntax of the address is munged. You need something
like this:

   "####-request at lists.lander.edu" <####-request at lists.lander.edu>

if you are typing the address directly into an e-mail client. Actually,
it is much easier in that case to just use:

  ####-request at lists.lander.edu

since the stuff inside the quotes is just commentary and in this case
duplicates the address anyway. If you leave off the quoted "friendly" version
of an address, then you don't need the "<>" delimiters around the canonical
address. Normally the quoted version would be something like this:

  "John Q. Public" <jpublic at example.com>

Where are the users obtaining the address? If it's linked from a web page
where you announce the list, then the HTML needs to look like this:

my list</a> if you want to.</a>

The "<>" delimiters in HTML and the same delimiters in the email address serve
entirely different purposes and are not intermingled in mailto links of HTML.
Use only the canonical address there, and put whatever friendly stuff you want
between <a href="....."> and </a> tags, as I have put "subscribe to my list"
in this example.

Scott

--
Scott Courtney         | "I don't mind Microsoft making money. I mind them