[Mailman-Users] errors in subscription process

Steven Shults hostmaster at shults.org
Fri Jun 7 03:48:23 CEST 2002

hi brian,

I had the same problem with the virtusertable in sendmail, might be
similar to the exim problem, don't know, never used exim, but in case it
helps:

the catchall aliasing you describe ([anything]@domain.tld -->
brianslocalinbox at domain.tld), which in sendmail is defined in the
virtusertable (by default /etc/mail/virtusertable) doesn't get along so
well with the local aliasing in /etc/aliases where the aliases for the
mailman wrappers are found.   seems the virtusertable doesn't see the
wrapper aliases and ignores them, so instead of the mail to
listname-request@ going through the wrapper and being processed, it goes
back to you by courtesy of the aliases in /etc/alias which the one of
the readme's says to set up.

May or may not work in exim, but I suggest having them disable the
catchall alias, define any specific aliases you need instead (other than
the wrapper aliases, leave those as is) and restart exim and try again.

worked for me in sendmail to solve the same problem anyway.

g'luck,
~Steven