[Mailman-Users] HTdig intergration pb

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Mon Jul 29 14:27:23 CEST 2002

At 14:31 29/07/2002 +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>* Richard Barrett <R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk> [20020729 13:50]: wrote:
> > At 12:13 29/07/2002 +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > >Maybe someone who has successfully intergrated HTDig and Mailman can help
> > >me.
> > >
> > >I've been trying to get this to work but problems keep creeping in.
> > >I've followed the INSTALL.htdig-mm (almost to the letter) but I do feel
> > >I am not quite correct in the setting that I have and so I get errors
> > >like this:
> > >

> > >htdig: Unable to find configuration file
> > >'/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/elections-2002/htdig/elections-200
> 2.conf'
> > >htmerge: Unable to find configuration file
> > >'/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/elections-2002/htdig/elections-200
> 2.conf'
> > >

> > You do not say but I assume this output is generated when
> > $prefix/cron/nightly_htdig is run and in turns runs the htdig rundig
> script?
> >
> > Does this file exist?
>

>The file doesn't exist. I don't remember the INSTALL howto saying I should
>create
>it though.

You do not create it explicitly yourself. The mailman-htdig patch code
generates these per list htdig conf files automatically.

> > The path looks plausible from what you say below. These per list htdig
> > config files are created when the _first_ message is posted after/when the
> > list has archiving enabled and the mailman-htdig patches are installed.
>
>That is what I remember reading, so I am right afterall ;-)
>People have posted to the list. I even did that manually the day I applied the
>patch (after doing the configuration).
>
> > Is there any evidence in the Mailman logs of problems for Mailman writing
> > these htdig config files?
>
>The latest I have in the error log is:
>
>Jul 26 16:35:05 2002 (28897) CORRUPT ARCHIVE FOR LIST: elections-2002
>Jul 27 10:04:31 2002 qrunner(44187): Traceback (most recent call last):
>Jul 27 10:04:31 2002 qrunner(44187):   File
>"/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 220, in ArchiveMail
>Jul 27 10:04:31 2002 qrunner(44187):     h = HyperArch.HyperArchive(self)
>Jul 27 10:04:31 2002 qrunner(44187):   File
>"/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py", line 691, in __init__
>Jul 27 10:04:31 2002 qrunner(44187):     self.setup_htdig()
>Jul 27 10:04:31 2002 qrunner(44187):   File
>"/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py", line 849, in setup_htdig
>Jul 27 10:04:31 2002 qrunner(44187):     d = {'databases': list_htdig_dir,
>Jul 27 10:04:31 2002 qrunner(44187): AttributeError: 'module' object has
>no attribute 'HTDIG_EXTRAS'
>Jul 27 10:04:31 2002 (44187) CORRUPT ARCHIVE FOR LIST: elections-2002

I think this is the cause of the problem. The function which creates the
per list htdig.conf file has failed before completing its task.

The problem encountered is that it cannot find the variable HTDIG_EXTRAS
defined in either $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py or $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py

Correctly applied to your Mailman build directory, the 444884
htdig-2.0.12-0.2.patch
file should have added the HTDIG_EXTRAS variable to
$build/Mailman/Defaults.py.in and the subsequent 'make install' should have
transferred that definition to $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py

A quick hack would be to add the following line to your
$prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py:

         HTDIG_EXTRAS = ""

But this begs the question of why applying the patches to your Mailman
build directory and running 'make install' did not do the right thing.

Whether you decide to just hack the value into mm_cfg.py or not you should
also run the $prefix/bin/blow_away_htdig script to clear out all partially
constructed htdig related stuff from the Mailman directories. The next
message to the archived lists should then provoke construction of the per
list htdig stuff. Check your error log to see if any further problems are
being notified; hopefully there will not be any.

Which version of patches 444879 and 444884  did you actually apply to which
version of Mailman?

> > Just one thought about the location of the Mailman archives directory
> under
> > /usr/local/mailman. Does the mailman user and group have write permission
> > for /usr/local/mailman/archives and all its subdirectories.
>
>Yes, user mailman can write there.
>
>[root at ns2]#su - mailman
>$ pwd
>/usr/local/mailman
>$ cd archives
>$ printf "Test test" > wash
>$ cat wash
>Test test$
>
>The directories are owned by root:mailman and are SETGID
>

> > When the per list htdig config is created, it is created in
> > .../archives/private/<listname>/htdig/<listname>.conf and a symbolic link
> > to that file is created as .../archives/htdig/<listname>.conf.
> > htsearch programs reach the config file via that symbolic link and the
> link
> > named per the HTDIG_MAILMAN_LINK value.
> >
> > In your case it looks like you will have created a symbolic link
> > /usr/local/etc/htdig/htdig-mailman pointing to
> > /usr/local/mailman/archives/htdig
>
>Your observation is correct. Did I have to create the symlink manually??
>because
>that is what I did. Should I rm the symlink I created, as your observation
>seems to suggest that the symlink is auto created, somehow????

Sorry if I confused you. You did the right thing the first time. The single
htdig-mailman link has to be created by hand during installation. The
subsequent and secondary per list links are created automatically.

> > In your case, htsearch programs will be trying to access
> > /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/<listname>/htdig/<listname>.conf via
> > the path /usr/local/etc/htdig/htdig-mailman/<listname>.conf
>
>Which is weird, yes???

Not really that wierd. The htsearch program run as a cgi-bin script due to
the search form expects htdig config files to be in the htdig CONFIG_DIR
which is baked in when htdig is 'make'd'. The htdig-mailman link, which
must be in htdig's CONFIG_DIR, gets it to look in the .../archives/htdig
directory in Mailman's file structure for the per list htdig config files.
The links in that directory give access to the per list per list htidg
config files which are actually in .../archives/private/<listname>/htdig/.
This later directory also ends up containing the per list htdig search
indexes created by rundig (which is run by $prefix/cron/nightly_htdig).
This setup keeps everything htdig'ish for a list in the one place.