[Mailman-Users] opening holes by changing permissions?

Paul Marshall paulmarshll at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 23 15:17:03 CEST 2002

I was having problems adding a list in Mailman 2.1beta
via the web interface, it was giving me an error regarding
permissions to the mailman/data/aliases.db file.

This is the error I got:

File "/var/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 46, in
_update_maps
raise RuntimeError, msg % (acmd, status, errstr)
RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias
/var/mailman/data/aliases (status: 1, Operation not
permitted)

To fix this I changed the permissions on this file so
apache could write to it.

chmod a+w aliases.db

This did fix the problem of creating and deleting lists via
the web interface.

Does anyone know if this would open up any security
holes?

Is there another way to fix the permissions problem that
is more logical?

Thanks for your help.

Paul Marshall