[Mailman-Users] HowTo edit Archives by hand

Jon Carnes jonc at haht.com
Wed Jul 17 18:00:50 CEST 2002

I think this is already in the FAQ, but just in case, here is a brief run
through for the 2.0.x series...

The archives are found in:
  ~mailman/archives/private/

There are two subdirectories for each list:

  <listname>.mbox:  This directory contains one file, a text based
        Mailbox with all the archived messages.  This file is the
        *real* archive.

  <listname> : This directory contains all the manufactured Web/text
        files needed to display the archived messages.  The files in
        this directory are all generated from the Mailbox found in the
        other directory.

To edit out an email,
  - Take mailman off-line (stopping cron is effective for this).
  - Goto the Mailbox containing the archive
  - Edit this large file and remove the offending email

      Note: this is a large text based file containing
      many emails, each stacked on top of each other
      inside the file.  Each email starts with a line like:
        "From user at domain.com  Mon Mar 12 14:23 2002"

      There will be other lines in the email that look similar
      and start with "From: " (note the colon instead of a space)
         "From: User Name <user at domain>"
      These lines are header lines inside the email.

  - Once the offending emails are edited or removed,
     move the files in the current web files for the archive
     to a backup directory and run:
       ~mailman/bin/arch  <listname>
     This will regenerate all the HTML files used by the archive.
  - Bring mailman back on-line (restart cron)

Best of luck,

Jon Carnes