[Mailman-Users] strange bounce behavior...

Luke Middle ftlbm at aurora.uaf.edu
Mon Jan 28 16:38:07 CET 2002

Greetings mailman folks,

I am having a problem with users being changed to "no mail"
presumably  by the bounce options.  I understand that after the set
limits I put in for "bounce options" are exceeded an e-mail address
will be disabled.  However, I know that the addresses that are being
disabled are valid because one of them is mine!  Many of them also
are on the same server that I use and they are coworkers who would
not select "no-mail" as an option.

I do not have any errors in the error log but I do see many logs in
the bounce log.  eg.

Jan 24 09:07:12 2002 (29052) mylist: xxxxx at uaf.edu - exceeded limits
Jan 24 09:07:12 2002 (29052) mylist: already disabled xxxxx at uaf.edu
Jan 24 09:07:12 2002 (29052) mylist: yyyyy at uaf.edu - exceeded limits
Jan 24 09:07:12 2002 (29052) mylist: already disabled yyyyy at uaf.edu
Jan 24 09:07:12 2002 (29052) mylist: zzzzz at aurora.uaf.edu - exceeded limits
Jan 24 09:07:12 2002 (29052) mylist: already disabled zzzzz at aurora.uaf.edu

What limits are being exceeded?  These particular addresses I know
work so it seems odd to me that they are bouncing back.  I assume
though that these messages are telling me that these addresses have
been disabled in the manner of changing them to "no mail".

If anyone has some ideas on a fix that would be great!  I have not
been able to find anything so far in the archives.

My system is:
Yellow Dog Linux 1.2.1 2.2.0
Mailman 2.0.6
Sendmail
Powermac 7600/266

Thanks tons in advance,
-Luke
Luke Middle                               |     : for though the camomile,
Institute of Arctic Biology               |the more it is trodden the
University of Alaska, Fairbanks           |faster it grows, yet youth, the
Irving I, room 211                        |more it is wasted the sooner
Fairbanks, AK   99775                     |it wears. (II, iv)
e-mail: ftlbm at uaf.edu                     |
907 474 1844 (office)                     |     Falstaff: King Henry IV
907 474 5111 (lab)                        |                     Part 1
907 474-6716 (fax)                        |