[Mailman-Users] Effect of mm_cfg.py changes

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Thu Jan 17 11:48:22 CET 2002

At 16:50 16/01/2002 -0600, Gary McClellan wrote:
>On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:42:33 -0500, Jon Carnes wrote:
>
> >some effects of mm_cfg are immediate, but the parts that act as defaults to
> >the list are incorporated into the list when it is created.  You will have
> >to change already created lists individually.  You can do this via the
> >command line or via the web-admin.
> >
> >Check out the archives for some very clever way of making mass changes via
> >the command line - might even be in the FAQ (if not it should be!).
> >
> >Jon Carnes

I'm surprised a solution to this hasn't been posted before but I cannot
spare the time to search for it.

Looking at the code for MM 2.0.8, the handling of
DEFAULT_ADMIN_MEMBER_CHUNKSIZE in Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py and the associated
setting of the MailList instance variable admin_member_chunksize is unlike
other such instance variables; the variable is not presented for
modification in the admin web GUI and doesn't appear in the output from
config_list. You should be able to use $prefix/bin/withlist to set
admin_member_chunksize. For example I did the following and it appeared to
work OK:

1. created file called chunky.py containing:

def chunky(mlist, howmany):
     mlist.admin_member_chunksize = howmany
     mlist.Save()

2. ran $prefix/bin/withlist to change members per page to 10 from 30 as
follows and got results shown:

[barrett at mailman mailman]$ bin/withlist -l -r chunky rbtest 10
Importing chunky ...
Running chunky.chunky() ...
Unlocking (but not saving) list: rbtest
Finalizing

Hope this helps but be careful using withlist; you can make a mess of
things quite easily I suspect.