[Mailman-Users] list removal and making a list public

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Wed Jan 9 18:27:10 CET 2002

Darren

I'll try to deal with some of what you have said below

At 10:01 09/01/2002 -0600, Darren wrote:
>Thank you very much for your suggestions.  I've marked the parts that I cut
>and pasted from the screen output with "# from screen>" and put all of it at
>the bottom of page.  I hope this helps the readability of this post.
>
>Unfortunately, my DEFAULT_LIST_ADVERTISED variable is already =1 in
>Defaults.py.  I didn't change this.  So, I guess the default setting is to
>make the new lists public.  And, I also have that option set correctly in
>the privacy section.  The only other information that I know to include is
>that the Welcome page displays differently depending on whether I'm logging
>in from localhost or from another computer that gets routed outside the LAN
>and then back in.

The absence of lists and the difference in presentation depending on the IP
address specified in the URL used to access the MM web GUI suggests the
problem you are having results form MM's virtual hosting feature. If you
changef the value of VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = 0 in $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
then the problem would probably go away; but read on before you do that.

Looking at your site through http://www.kneedeep.org/mailman/admin, it
gives an e-mail address for the mailman owner mailman-owner at localhost as
which suggests that DEFAULT_HOST_NAME = 'localhost' in your
$prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py. You really want to set DEFAULT_HOST_NAME to
the IP name of your host through which you expect the MM web GUI to be
accessed in $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py: localhost won't provide
communication for a user on another machine. You also want to set
MAILMAN_OWNER to include the IP name of your machine in
$prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py.

As an aside, do your own test and accessing through a fully qualified
domain name for your mailman machine not 'localhost'. That way you'll see
your installation as your users will; they can never access it through
'localhost' I hope.

>Note below that the list name "Hinds calculus ii" does not match the error
>message echoed to screen output generated by "lynx localhost/mailman/admin".
>The error message says "No such list hinds" (not "No such list Hinds
>calculus ii).  This might be related to the problem of not being able to
>delete the list.  Maybe lists
>with spaces in the name is causing some of the problems.

I suspect that if you said the following on the command line it might work:

     lynx "localhost/mailman/admin/hinds calculus ii"

The following URL certainly does work from my machine using Netscape:

However, spaces in list names are not a good idea. Bear in mind that the
the list name is going to be the local part of what must be a valid
Internet addr-spec as described in RFC2822 section 3.4.1 as well as being a
directory name and part of file names in your file system, and part of URIs
for accessing through the web GUI. That means that when it is used the
local part has to be quoted (enclosed in double quotes) to be valid if it
contains spaces or special characters like '.'. In all honesty I'm not even
sure if MM is programmed to cope with all the possible implications of this.

Why make life difficult. Just keep list names short and do not allow
embedded whitespace, puncutation etc - all those things that need to be
escaped in URLs, on command lines and in mail address specifications. Stick
to a-zA-Z0-9-_ characters in your list names and you won't go far wrong.

>As far as what I've tried to do to remove the list, the output below pretty
>much speaks for itself.  But, to summarize, I have tried using qoutes and
>escaping
>the spaces in the list name.  Again, can I just delete the references to the
>lists I want to delete from /lists and /archives?

I'm not sure as to why you are having the deletion problem. Given that
you've not really got started with Mailman I'd:

1. treat what's happened so far as good experience of what can go wrong

2. blow away your 2.0.5 install

3. download 2.0.8 from
http://telia.dl.sourceforge.net/mailman/mailman-2.0.8.tgz

4. redo you installation from mailman-2.0.8.tgz

5. check your $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py following installation and see if
the variables discussed look sensible

6. avoid creating lists with names that will cause problems.

Take heart, it took me three or four goes when I first installed MM to get
an installation that worked right

cheers

Richard