[Mailman-Users] list removal and making a list public

Darren backdoc at crotchett.com
Wed Jan 9 17:01:17 CET 2002

Thank you very much for your suggestions.  I've marked the parts that I cut
and pasted from the screen output with "# from screen>" and put all of it at
the bottom of page.  I hope this helps the readability of this post.

Unfortunately, my DEFAULT_LIST_ADVERTISED variable is already =1 in
Defaults.py.  I didn't change this.  So, I guess the default setting is to
make the new lists public.  And, I also have that option set correctly in
the privacy section.  The only other information that I know to include is
that the Welcome page displays differently depending on whether I'm logging
in from localhost or from another computer that gets routed outside the LAN
and then back in.

Note below that the list name "Hinds calculus ii" does not match the error
message echoed to screen output generated by "lynx localhost/mailman/admin".
The error message says "No such list hinds" (not "No such list Hinds
calculus ii).  This might be related to the problem of not being able to
delete the list.  Maybe lists
with spaces in the name is causing some of the problems.

As far as what I've tried to do to remove the list, the output below pretty
much speaks for itself.  But, to summarize, I have tried using qoutes and
escaping
the spaces in the list name.  Again, can I just delete the references to the
lists I want to delete from /lists and /archives?

Thanks for helping,
Darren

yourself the output generated there (neither test list shows up).
Likewise, you can go to http://www.kneedeep.org/mailman/admin and see that
both lists show up there and if you follow the link to Hinds calulus
ii, it will give you a log in prompt (that is different from what you get
when you view it from localhost).

>From localhost, here is exactly what I get when I type, as root, "lynx
localhost/mailman/listinfo":

# from screen>                  localhost Mailing Lists

# from screen>
# from screen>   Welcome!
# from screen>
# from screen>   Below is a listing of all the public mailing lists on
# from screen>   localhost. Click on a list name to get more
# from screen>   information about the list, or to subscribe, unsubscribe,
# from screen>   and change the preferences on your subscription.
# from screen>   To visit the info page for an unadvertised list, open a URL
# from screen>   similar to this one, but with a '/' and the
# from screen>   list name appended.
# from screen>
# from screen>   List administrators, you can visit the list admin overview
# from screen>   page to find the management interface for your
# from screen>   list.
# from screen>
# from screen>   (Send questions or comments to mailman-owner at localhost.)
# from screen>
# from screen>
# from screen>   List Description
# from screen>   Hinds calculus ii [no description available]
# from screen>
# from screen>
# from screen>   Delivered by Mailman
# from screen>   version 2.0.5 Python Powered GNU's Not Unix Mailman home
# from screen>   page
# from screen>   Python home page
# from screen>   GNU home page
# from screen>

>From localhost, here is exactly what I get when I type, as root, "lynx
localhost/mailman/admin":

# from screen>   kneedeep.org mailing lists - Admin Links
# from screen>
# from screen>   # from screen>
# from screen>   No such list hinds
# from screen>
# from screen>   Below is the collection of publicly-advertised mailman
# from screen>   mailing lists on kneedeep.org. Click on a list name
# from screen>   to visit the configuration pages for that list. To visit
# from screen>   the administrators configuration page for an
# from screen>   unadvertised list, open a URL similar to this one, but with
# from screen>   a '/' and the right list name appended.
# from screen>
# from screen>   General list information can be found at the mailing list
# from screen>   overview page.
# from screen>
# from screen>   (Send questions and comments to mailman-owner at localhost.)
# from screen>
# from screen>
# from screen>   List Description
# from screen>   Hinds calculus ii [no description available]
# from screen>   test This is a test list and will soon be deleted.
# from screen>

# from screen>
# from screen>   Delivered by Mailman
# from screen>   version 2.0.5 Python Powered GNU's Not Unix Mailman home
# from screen>   page
# from screen>   Python home page
# from screen>   GNU home page
# from screen>

Here is what I have tried in order to delete the list.

# from screen>   fbsd# whoami
# from screen>   root

# from screen>   fbsd# pwd
# from screen>   /usr/local/mailman/bin

# from screen>   fbsd# ./list_lists
# from screen>   2 matching mailing lists found:
# from screen>       Hinds calculus ii - [no description available]
# from screen>                    test - This is a test list and will soon
# from screen>   be deleted.

# from screen>   fbsd# ./rmlist "Hinds calculus ii"
# from screen>   Not removing archives.  Reinvoke with -a to remove them.
# from screen>   Removing list info

# from screen>   fbsd# ./rmlist -a "Hinds calculus ii"
# from screen>   Removing list info
# from screen>   hinds calculus ii private archives not found as
# from screen>   /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/hinds calculus ii
# from screen>   Removing private archives
# from screen>   Removing public archives