[Mailman-Users] 16JFqa-0000bA-00 <> *** frozen ***

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 10:35:11 CET 2002

On Fri, 2002-01-04 at 07:28, Pieter Boshoff wrote:
> please can anybody explain this message to me. I use Mailman version 2.0.1
> and Exim as my MTA.
> when I run the command mailq I get the following:
>
> 30m  2.5K 16MNzN-0004Ri-00 <> *** frozen ***
>           memberlist2-admin at africasia.co.za

Exim by default freezes (ie stops attempting delivery but leaves on
queue) undeliverable bounce messages.

The message there is a bounce message (ie from <>), so its likely that
the address memberlist2-admin at africasia.co.za is undeliverable in some
way (or was at the time of the freeze).

Most likely reason for this is someone sending a message to an unknown
user of yours from an undeliverable sender address - bounce message
cannot then be delivered.  In this case the address looks as though its
one of your Mailman admin addresses so probably failed for a different
reason.

Suggest you check through your exim logs for 16MNzN-0004Ri-00 - you
should also be able to discover the message log entries fro the message
that generated the bounce.

Try using
	exim -d5 -bt memberlist2-admin at africasia.co.za

to find out if that address can be resolved, and to hopefully give hints
as to whats wrong.  [First guess, look at permissions on your alias
files]

	Nigel.