[Mailman-Users] Automatically approving non-member Usenet postings to gatewayed list?

Jerry Stratton jerry at sandiego.edu
Wed Feb 20 19:13:37 CET 2002

I've seen a couple of questions about this, but no answers yet;
before I start working on it myself I thought I'd ask one more time.
Has anyone solved the problem where a list which is gatewayed to a
Usenet newsgroup requires approval for Usenet postings? (Since Usenet
posters are not usually members of the mailing list.) I.e., I want
usenet postings to come through to the list without requiring
approval due to the sender not being a member. But I want normal
posts to get blocked if they do not come from a member, since e-mail
can come from anywhere and we do get spam on the list if I turn that
off. (Newsgroups postings will only come from our local server.)

It looks like (Mailman 2.0.8) I can hack into process() in Hold.py to
modify the section for "if mlist.member_posting_only:". (This depends
on whether I have access to headers there or not.)

Jerry
jerry at sandiego.edu
http://www.sandiego.edu/~jerry/
Serra 188B/x8773
--
The more restrictions there are, the poorer the people become. The
greater the government¹s power, the more chaotic the nation would