[Mailman-Users] Web interface saves no settings or info!

Scott Spence scott at noggon.com
Wed Feb 20 07:22:35 CET 2002

But, you see, I did use those cgi-gid and mail-gid flags:

./configure --with-mail-gid=8 --with-cgi-gid=65534
--prefix=/var/lib/mailman --with-ownername=mail --with-ownergroup=mail
--prefix=/var/lib/mailman --with-username=mail --host=noggon.com
--with-groupname=mail

And, yes I just checked that 8 is the guid mail and 65534 is the guid
nogroup.

The mail:mail (not mailman:mailman) setup is due to following the
exim with mailman howto (debian sets up exim to run as mail:mail NOT
exim:exim).

Quote (from mailman README.EXIM aka mailman exim howto):

# home dir for mailman
MAILMAN_HOME=/home/mailman
# wrapper script for mailman
MAILMAN_WRAP=MAILMAN_HOME/mail/wrapper
# user and group for mailman
MAILMAN_UID=exim
MAILMAN_GID=exim

What do you think?

This is why I have acted so desperate to look at the fstab file..

~:-( - i.e. one hair left!

scott

 On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Ashley M. Kirchner
wrote:

> Scott Spence wrote:
>
> > How can a webserver running as nobody:nogroup modify config.db once it
> > becomes owned by mail:mail? .. it could (I suppose) if nobody somehow also
> > run under group mail but this _can't_ be right.
>
>     Remember when you first configured mailman and compiled it?  You were supposed to tell it
> what your cgi-gid is, and your mail-gid.  This is where those two come into play.  They play
> together, mailman allows the webserver to touch its files, and when done, reverts it back.
>

> > I did try your idea that all files should be owned by mail:mail and I just
> > got the bug page (why has Printing of traceback and other system
> > information has been explicitly inhibited?) and in the error file:
> > Permission denied: '/var/lib/mailman/lists/test/config.db'
>
>     Actually, the whole thing should be owned by mailman, not mail.  After all, it's mailman
> that runs the cron tasks, and it's mailman that does all the processing of lists administrivia.
>
>     Don't mess with your fstab.  Unless you're prepared to yank a few more hairs out of your
> head. :)  fstab is a system wide setting that doesn't affect (adversely enough) any function of
> how a program runs or doesn't.  If fstab is setup to only allow read, or write on a device,
> you'd be having way more problems that just mailman not running.
>
> --
> W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
>   Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley at pcraft.com>   .   303.442.6410 x130
>   IT Director / SysAdmin / WebSmith             .     800.441.3873 x130
>   Photo Craft Laboratories, Inc.            .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6
>   http://www.pcraft.com ..... .  .    .       Boulder, CO 80303, U.S.A.

Scott Mobile: +34 65 337 8573
Fiona Mobile: +34 65 337 8574