[Mailman-Users] Web interface saves no settings or info!

Scott Spence scott at noggon.com
Wed Feb 20 00:01:32 CET 2002

Sorry Ashley,

May be I am missing something here:
The sticky bit is on the group id so the group stays as mailman.

-My webserver (apache) runs as nobody:nogroup

-The config.db file has permissions -rw-rw---- (./ drwxrwsr-x)

-mailman cron runs and changes nobody:mailman to mailman:mailman

How can a webserver running as nobody:nogroup modify config.db once it
becomes owned by mail:mail? .. it could (I suppose) if nobody somehow also
run under group mail but this _can't_ be right.

Or are there subtle things about the cgi scripts (SUID) that I do not know
about when run with apache.

Thanks for your help - I am determined to understand this.

I did try your idea that all files should be owned by mail:mail and I just
got the bug page (why has Printing of traceback and other system
information has been explicitly inhibited?) and in the error file:
Permission denied: '/var/lib/mailman/lists/test/config.db'

permissions on this file:

-rw-rw----    1 mail     mail

***
Considering all the above I have found this in my /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda5 	/usr 		ext2 	rw        0       2

Should this be 'defaults'?--------------^^^

I am not an fstab expert but could THIS be my problem? the python
executables likely reside here (as does apache) but not the mailman
scripts - what do you think? perhaps "defaults" (that includes suid) may
be a better option..

****

cheers

scott

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

> Scott Spence wrote:
>
> > But according to Ted's posting his config.db had the nobody:mailman
> > permission - not the mailman:mailman permission - so when the cron is run
> > the permissions will change from nobody:mailman to mailman:mailman
> > (rw-rw----) right?
>
>     My crontask runs as mailman.mailman, however the webserver runs as httpd.daemon.
> Whenever something comes through over the web, config.db becomes httpd.mailman, however as
> soon as the next crontask runs, everything becomes mailman.mailman again.
>
>     All the files ought to be owned by mailman.mailman, and the sticky bit should help in
> retaining the permissions even after the web server has changed.
>
> --
> W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
>   Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley at pcraft.com>   .   303.442.6410 x130
>   IT Director / SysAdmin / WebSmith             .     800.441.3873 x130
>   Photo Craft Laboratories, Inc.            .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6
>   http://www.pcraft.com ..... .  .    .       Boulder, CO 80303, U.S.A.

Scott Mobile: +34 65 337 8573
Fiona Mobile: +34 65 337 8574