[Mailman-Users] Mailman Performance

Morgan Fletcher morgan at hahaha.org
Tue Feb 19 20:43:56 CET 2002

"Bodnyk, Bruce W" <BBodnyk at fciconnect.com> writes:
> I'm running mailman on a Compaq 450Mz Pentium II with 512Mb of memory.  I
> started adding users by sending an email to the list-request and the
> email has about 50 names on it. I'm finding that Mailman is adding at max
> two people per minute.
>
> I'm wondering whether this machine may be too slow to serve as a mail
> exploder.  Or possibly there may be some customizations or tweaking I can
> do to speed up the Mailman processing.

I built out a mailing list with 1800 members with bin/add_members, and it
was slow to add them. I later found out the drag was due mostly to all the
bounces that were coming back. (There were over two hundred dead addresses
in that set.)

Machine is a P3/550MHz with 512MB RAM, running NetBSD 1.5.1.

It's only been a few days, but I have seen no performance problems with
mailman delivery since. We're running postfix for the MTA. Cleaning out the
dead addresses was critical. We average about 100 messages a day.

My only real problem right now is trying to push 360MB worth of majordomo
archives through pipermail without crashing pipermail.

Morgan