[Mailman-Users] Multiple host name problem

Morgan Fletcher morgan at hahaha.org
Fri Feb 15 18:51:02 CET 2002

"Michael Bray" <mbray at ctiusa.com> writes:
> I am having a problem with different results being returned for different
> host names that I want to use the same list configuration.  For example,
> I want 'http://www.xyz.com/mailman/listinfo' and
> information.  (I do have the correct settings in DNS to provide the IP
> address for 'xyz.com', which is the same IP as for 'www.xyz.com'.)  When
> my users go to the 'xyz.com' site, they see the lists correctly.  When
> they go to the 'www.xyz.com' site, mailman says that there are no
> publicly accessible lists on this server.

I had to make this change to my apache.conf, so that
http://www.ourdomain.com/mailman and http://domain.com/mailman were equally
available.

*** 1023,1031 ****
  </VirtualHost>

  <VirtualHost nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn>
! ServerName www.ourdomain.com
  Documentroot /some/dir/ourdmain/htdocs
  ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/some/dir/ourdmain/cgi-bin/"
  ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/ourdomain/http_error.log
  CustomLog /var/log/httpd/ourdomain/http_access.log common
  </VirtualHost>
--- 1023,1033 ----
  </VirtualHost>

  <VirtualHost nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn>
! ServerName ourdomain.com
! ServerAlias *.ourdomain.com
  Documentroot /some/dir/ourdomain/htdocs
  ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/some/dir/ourdomain/cgi-bin/"
+ ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/home/mailman/cgi-bin/"
  ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/ourdomain/http_error.log
  CustomLog /var/log/httpd/ourdomain/http_access.log common
  </VirtualHost>

(Actually, it's broader than Mailman - without this change
http://ourdomain.com wasn't handled properly.)

I've got the "Host name this list prefers." set to 'ourdomain.com' and
"Base URL for Mailman web interface. The URL must end in a single "/". See
also the details for an important warning when changing this value." set to
'http://www.ourdomain.com/mailman/'.

Morgan