[Mailman-Users] email based subscriptions

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Feb 12 05:56:38 CET 2002

This should get you started:
 - Mailman is written very modular.  Each module does a specific part of the
process of the listserver.
 - Look in ~mailman/Mailman for the module (or sub-program) that is sending
the success message from the email subscribe
 - The source code is in a file with the extension .py, the compiled source
is in a file named after the module with an extension of .pyc.
 - When run via Python, it checks the source to see if it has a recent
compiled version - the .pyc file. If that file exists and it was created at
the same time or later than the module was last changed, then it executes the
compiled program.  Otherwise it deletes the old compiled version and
recompiles the source automagically.  Very cool.
 - Python is extremely easy to read and figure out.  Give it a run and you'll
soon be programming in it with ease.

You can also check out the users lists archives.  My self and many others
have written extensively about modifying the source code.  You will even find
lists of various modules and their functions.  I'm not saying its all
documented, but a lot of it is.

If you need a knudge or two in the right direction, I'll help you out a bit,
but I don't have any cycles open till Friday.  Good Luck - Jon Carnes
===