[Mailman-Users] Web page design

Caleb Epstein cae at bklyn.org
Wed Feb 6 16:37:39 CET 2002

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 10:14:40AM -0500, Margaret Levine Young wrote:

> For example, the listinfo page (e.g.,
> <http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users>) doesn't
> have a heading "How to Unsubscribe," which is one of the two main
> reasons that people go there. Unsubscription info is there, but it's
> buried at the bottom of the page.

	You can modify the HTML template for the listinfo pages at
	http://yourserver/mailman/edithtml/listname

	for an example of what the results might look like.  Not
	saying this is a design paragon, just an example of what you
	can do.

	I do agree, though, that "UNSUBSCRIBE HERE!" should be
	available someplace obvious.  It is far and away the biggest
	source of admin requests.  People are often not
	willing (capable?) of reading an entire web page to figure it
	out for themselves, so they end up emailing the admins.
	Making it prominent on the page is a big help on cutting down
	on useless requests.

--
Caleb Epstein |  bklyn . org  |       Vulcans worship peace above all.
    cae at    | Brooklyn Dust |       		-- McCoy, "Return to Tomorrow",