[Mailman-Users] Importing archives

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 9 01:19:06 CET 2002

On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 05:50, David Gordon wrote:
> I know I can import an archive to a new list, cos I read the FAQs...

WaHoo!  The power of the internet is yours to command!

> I am moving a list to Mailman. It would be nice to re-create the archive.
> Do I have to create an mbox for each month, or do I just put all of the
> messages in one mbox?

Just throw them all in one big MBox file.

> I have about 7500 messages going back a couple of years. But I think
> there are more somewhere. Can I add those messages later? Or is importing
> an archive a once only event.

You can always modify the MBox file and then re-index later.  It just
eats up time and machine cycles.

> I think I want the archive to be in monthly view, if that makes any
> difference.

Set up the archives for the list this using the Web-Admin interface and
specify Monthly view.  There is a special section of the Web-Admin
devoted to setting up the Archives.  Once this is setup run the arch
program!

Good Luck - Jon Carnes