[Mailman-Users] make install fails for 2.1b3

Barry A. Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Aug 30 15:22:59 CEST 2002

    GZ> ok, I found out what the problem is: The configure script
    GZ> creates the file "/src/mailman-2.1b3/misc/paths.py", but "make
    GZ> install" does not copy it to "$prefix/bin".

I do occasionally get reports about this, but I've never been able to
reproduce it, even on fresh installs.  I wonder if this is a GNU
make-ism problem?  I've primarily tested on various flavi of Linux,
but OTOH, it doesn't /seem/ like I'm doing anything particularly GNU
make-y.

Thanks Dan for analyzing the way it /ought/ to work (and does for me
and most people).  I'd love to understand why it's broken for some
folks.

-Barry