[Mailman-Users] make install fails for 2.1b3

Goeran Zaengerlein goeran at zaengerlein.de
Fri Aug 30 00:31:23 CEST 2002

Hi *,

ok, I found out what the problem is:
The configure script creates the file
"/src/mailman-2.1b3/misc/paths.py", but "make install" does not copy it
to "$prefix/bin".

When make runs the update target it calls the $prefix/bin/update script
which tries to import the paths module. If you do the installation on a
system where already a mailman installation exists you won't get the
error as the paths.py already exists... So problem is only visible for a
from-the-scratch installation.

Any idea where in the Makefile the paths.py should be copied and why
this does actually not happen? I think there might be a problem with the
makefile in /misc, but I am not so fluent in makefiles ;)

My workaround for now is:
make install
cp ./misc/paths.py /usr/local/mailman/bin
make install

regards,
Goeran Zaengerlein