[Mailman-Users] mm_cfg.py doesn't appear to be working

Barry A. Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Aug 13 22:01:16 CEST 2002

    RB> fyi: all the Mailman code imports mm_cfg.py which in turn
    RB> imports Defaults.py. Hence the definitions in mm_cfg.py are
    RB> evaluated following evaluation of Defaults. py. Values
    RB> assigned in Defaults.py are re-evaluated after mm_cfg.py is
    RB> processed by Python. If changing it in Defaults.py works and
    RB> changing it in mm_cfg.py does not then I reckon you've got
    RB> problem 2 above.

FTR, Mailman considers mm_cfg.py off-limits w.r.t. upgrades -- it will
never touch them.  However it's within Mailman's rights to overwrite
Defaults.py on installs and upgrades.  That's why you should never
make changes to Defaults.py, and always make them to mm_cfg.py

As was pointed out though, if you're making changes to list defaults,
the changes won't affect already created lists.  You'll need to change
those via the web (for most list config variables) or through the
command line bin/withlist for a couple of exceptions.

-Barry