[Mailman-Users] mm_cfg.py doesn't appear to be working

Timothy R. Robnett tim at robnett.net
Tue Aug 13 20:52:05 CEST 2002

On Tue Aug 13, 2002 at 07:43:42PM +0100, Richard Barrett wrote:
> A couple of thoughts:
>
> 1. Some list attributes are initially set from mm_cfg.py configuration
> variables ONLY when the list is created. Subsequent changes to those
> defaults aren't propagated automatically into these per list attributes.
> DEFAULT_URL is an example. However, a list's URL can be changed (carefully)
> through the web admin GUI with MM 2.0.x or with bin/fix_url.py with MM 2.1.
>
> 2. Some defaults (call them secondary) in Defaults.py are defined in terms
> of other defaults (call them primary) defined higher up the source of
> Defaults.py. If you change the value of a primary default in mm_cfg.py you
> will not automatically change the value of those secondary defaults that
> depended on that redefined primary default; by the time mm_cfg.py is being
> processed the value of the secondary defaults has already been assigned.
> You must also redefine those secondary defaults in mm_cfg.py below the
> redefinition of the primary they depended on; just copy the line that set
> the secondary default from Defaults.py to mm_cfg.py and when it is
> processed it will pick up the revised value it depends upon.
>
> fyi: all the Mailman code imports mm_cfg.py which in turn imports
> Defaults.py. Hence the definitions in mm_cfg.py are evaluated following
> evaluation of Defaults. py. Values assigned in Defaults.py are re-evaluated
> after mm_cfg.py is processed by Python. If changing it in Defaults.py works
> and changing it in mm_cfg.py does not then I reckon you've got problem 2
> above.

Thanks, turns out my problem was a bit of 1 and 2. My initial post said
that changing settings in Default.py worked but mm_cfg.py didn't. Turns
out as you described some things I was trying to ajust needed to be done
elsewhere which gave the initial impression that one worked and the other
did not.

Thanks again for the assistance.

--
Regards,
Timothy R. Robnett
mailto:tim at robnett.net
http://www.robnett.net/~tim/

"If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins."
Benjamin Franklin