[Mailman-Users] wildcard for member_posting_only revisited

Jim McCormack jimmc at irobot.com
Mon Apr 29 22:25:01 CEST 2002

Hello All:

I have been scouring the archives and etc looking for the appropriate
way to restrict posting to any poster from my domain.

I saw some postings that implied that the "posters" field could accept
regular expressions.  I quickly gave up on this though, as subsequent
postings seemed to imply that procmail was the true answer.

Jo Brooks posted probably the most helpful answer I could find. (see
below, many thanks Joe!)

I have some questions about the implimentation of it though, and thought
I would ask some questions to make sure I understand it correctly:

1)  Using the procmail script below, the mailing list should not be set
to member posting only?  It seems like a message which passes by the
first rule in the procmail script gets posted as normal.  Therefore if I
had member_posting_only enabled it would be held for moderator approval?

2)  Messages that do not match the domain listed in the procmail script
are then sent to mail list owner directly?  That is to say, the message
no longer flows through the normal approve/reject/discard and etc web
interface?  If the message was indeed a valid message for the mailing
list then the mailowner would have to forward the email to the mailing
list?

It seems like this is the way it is working for me.  I just want to make
sure I am not missing something.

Cheers!

Jim McCormack